Telfer Home Badly Damaged by fire New Lisbon, 1932 News column
Fire in New Lisbon
Home of Aged Lady Badly Damaged Last Thursday
New Lisbon, March 13---The residence of Mrs. Emma Telfer on the Morris-Garrattsville state road near Garrattsville, came near being totally destroyed by fire about noon Thursday.
Mrs. Telfer, who lives alone, heard a strange noise upstairs, and went to investigate. As she opened the stair door, smoke came rushing from the room above. She quickly gave the alarm and within a short time the Morris and Edmeston fire companies arrived and with the help of many neighbors succeeded in saving the building from being completely destroyed. The fire was confined to the upright part, which was in the center of the building, the entire upper portion being burned. It is thought that the fire caught from the chimney in the attic. The building was insured with the Cooperstown Co-operative company.
Other New Lisbon News
Mrs. George Myers has been seriously ill for several days past. Her sister, Mrs. Eva Dockstader, is caring for her.
Miss Edith Gillett, who was called here last week by the death of her aunt, Mrs. Lina Tuttle, and who has since been visiting her brother, Myron Gillett, returned to her home in Upper Montclair, Thursday.
Myron E. Coats went to Albany Sunday, where he has employment.
William Dockstader and Lucinda Johnson are ill with the mumps.
Local friends were shccked to learn of the tragic death of Mr. and Mrs. S. J. Donnelly of Davenport Center. They were former residents of New Lisbon, Mr. Donnelly having built the road stand at Stetsonville, several years ago. During their short residence here they made many dear friends, who sincerely mourn their untimely death.
Stetsonville----a newpaper clipping printed March 5, 1926
The hamlet of Stetsonville, between Morris and Garrattsville, has a distinctive honor. There are residing within a distance of one-half mile, nine persons who are past 70 years of age, three of them past 80 and one past 92.