Hall, Dr. William Wallace 1862-1932 Gilberstville Obituary
Dr. William Wallace Hall
Dr. William W. Hall died at his home in Gilbertsville at 12:20 o'clock Sunday afternoon last. Although not entirely unexpected, the announcement of his death was received with feelings of sadness and regret, not only in this village, where he had lived for a long time, but throughout this whole vicinity, where he had ministered to the ills and suffering so faithfully and well.
He had not been in robust health for several months past, and a few weeks ago he was compelled to take to his bed. He grew gradually worse until what was at first thought to be but a temporary illness, became so aggravated by serious complications that his physician and friends realized that there was little hope of recovery, and he continued to decline until he quietly and peacefully passed away. Dr. Hall was the only son of George and Celia (Barrett) Hall, and was born in the town of Morris, April 7, 1862, where he grew to young manhood. After graduating from the Morris school he taught school a few years, being the higher grades, or “upstairs” teacher as it was then called in the old district number one schoolhouse in Gilbertsville, now the Ainsworth residence in 1880 and 1881. After which he attended the Albany State Normal school. Having long desired to engage in the practice of medicine, he entered the medical department of the Iowa State university, where he took two courses of lectures, afterwards he entered the Universtiy of Buffalo, from which he graduated in February, 1885. He then returned to Morris, where he began the practice of his profession, residing there with the exception of two years in Utica, until he located in Glbertsville in 1908, where he has since resided.
May 15, 1889, he was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Elizabeth Elliott, daughter of John L. and Elizabeth Elliott of Morris, who survives him and to whom is extended the sympathy of many sorrowing friends. Dr. Hall had a fine appreciation of every thing beautiful, a lovely flower, a perfect instrument or voice, and had a special talent for music and during his studies at the Albany Normal he played a pipe organ in that city.
Dr. Hall was a prominent and successful physician, having a large practice in this and adjoining towns and many will remember with gratitude his faithful ministrations when in beds of sickness. The poor and suffering have always had in him a friend and he has left behind the memory of a great heart, overflowing with human sympathy that will not soon be effaced.
The funeral, which was very largely attended, was held from the home Wednesday afternoon at 2:30, Rev. E. E. Hutchinson, rector of Zion Episcopal church, Morris, officiating, with burial in the family lot in Hillington cemetery at Morris. The ritual services at the grave were conducted by Tiennderrah lodge, F. and A. M., of Morris, of which he was a member.