Saturday, March 30, 2013

Poem "To George W. Wood" Printed in 1935

















Poem “To George W. Wood”. Printed in 1935

TO GEORGE W. WOOD

I didn't hear his jovial call
Today at break of dawn;
He didn't wish “Good mornin: to
My dad across the lawn.

I didn't see him in the yard
Nor hear him at our door
To bring the morning paper from
the office. Never more.

They say I'll never see him leave again
That cozy home next door
To work an hour at gardening,
Or linger in the store.
For a word about the weather; to
Discuss late politics,
Or just to chat with neighbors.
How he'd chuckle at the tricks.

That a favorite dog would play with him.
Our Don had a beaten path
Straight across his cherished garden, yet
Don never stirred his wrath.

“Well, I guess that's right,” he used to say
To many and many a thing;
And they say I'll never hear it; ne'er
Again his voice will ring

On a clear and frosty morning, or
Above a roaring storm,
Or when summer days are sultry, or
When spring's cool days grow warm.

He has gone “to be with Mary”, where
I know he longed to be;
Lonely George; good, princely neighbor.
But it's quite a loss to me!

Author unknown.

On the 1920 Census there was a George W. Wood, 59, and his wife, Mary, living
in Burlington, Otsego County, NY.  He was born in England and was a farmer.  In 1935, he would have been 74 years old.

 Transcribed from a
scrapbook in the Mary Boice Gale Collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment