Tuesday, August 21, 2012

McClellan, Dr. John M. 1865-1931 Oneonta Obituary

McClellan, Dr. John M. 1865-1931 Oneonta Obituary

Dr. J. M. McClellan
Stricken Suddenly

Conscientious Practitioner
Here for 33 Years Victim
of Angina Pectoris

Dr. John M. McClellan, for the past 43 years a medical practitioner in Hartwick and Oneonta, the last 33 years in this city, died suddenly yesterday afternoon shortly after 2 o'clock at his farm located near the county tuberculosis sanatorium at Mt. Vision from angina pectoris.
Dr. McClellan left Oneonta about 1 o'clock for the farm and after his arrival there had started to mow the lawn. However, he cut but one strip through the grass before he had warning of his condition, for he stopped then and went to his car. It was not until about 4 o'clock that it was found that he was dead. Fred Walters noticing that he was apparently sleeping behind the wheel of his car on a trip past the farm, and upon his return he noticed that Dr. McClellan had not moved.
He called a friendly greeting, sensing that something might be wrong, and when the man failed to respond he went to the car. Mr. Walters immediately notified Dr. Frank C. Winsor at the sanatorium, who rushed to the scene, accompanied by nurses from the institution. Upon their arrival it was found that Dr. McClellan had apparently been dead for some time and Dr. Winsor pronounced angina pectoris the cause. From the position of his hands it is thought that in his last seconds he reached for a hypodermic needle in his pocket.
While Dr. McClellan's family had noticed that he seemed to be somewhat unsteady on a motor trip Sunday, it was thought that this was due to heavy traffic and in the absence of any comment from him little more consideration was given to his condition. A family gathering was held at the home Sunday and he seemed to be in usual health, as he did yesterday morning.
Funeral services will be held from the family home, 17 Elm street, Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock, conducted by Dr. James C. Russell and Rev. C. Frederic Fraser, pastors of the first Presbyterian church. Burial will be made in the family plot of the cemetery at Laurens.
John M. McClellan was born January 29, 1865, at Albany, the son of William and Sarah (Riddell) McClellan. He attended the Albany public schools and later graduated from Albany Business college, the Albany College of Pharmacy and Albany Medical college, in the class of 1888 from the latter institution.
He had practiced his profession for the past 43 years, first at Hartwick for 11 years, during which he spent a period of about a year at Fort Wayne, Ind. He came to Oneonta in 1898 and this city had since been his home. Dr. McClellan was keenly devoted to his profession and rarely did he fail to respond to a call, regardless of his own physical condition or the obstacles of the journey, sometimes taking him many miles through winter snow. For a period of 11 years he was able to answer every call, whether in the city or the surrounding community.
As this record indicates, Dr. McClellan took more than usual interest in his patients and oftentimes he was at the bedside of one critically ill, practically 24 hours a day for eight or ten consecutive days. With such close application to his cases, he had been a successful practitioner and he had won innumerable friends among his patients and those who observed his application to his chosen work.
Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Maude (Field) McClellan, whom he married at Hartwick in 1894; three children, Harry J. McClellan, of 103 East street, manager of the Liggett store here, John McClellan, residing at home, and Miss Dorothy McClellan, a student at Albany Business college; one granddaughter, Betty Jane McClellan; and a brother, William McClellan, of Binghamton. To them he was particularly devoted and they will have the sincere sympathy of wide circles of friends in their loss. A son, Mathew, did as an infant a number of years ago and a daughter, Miss Marguerite McClellan, died at Nutley, N. J., in 1920.
Dr. McClellan was of a family which has shown itself particularly interested in ministering to human illness, conspicuous success having been attained by brothers and cousins in medicine and nursing service. However, none gave more liberally of their effort than did Dr. John M. McClellan, whose sacrifice of physical strength to his work brought his sudden passing.
Dr. McClellan and Frank H. Bresee, president of the Oneonta Department store, organized the Hartwick water company during the time they were both residents of that village and both remained directors of that venture, being close personal friends and having been engaged in other enterprises, among them the Central hotel company.

Largely Attended Funeral
Services for Dr. McClellan

Funeral services for Dr. J. M. McClellan, held yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the family home, 17 Elm street, were largely attended by relatives, patients and friends, Dr. James C. Russell and Rev. C. Frederic Fraser, pastors of the First Presbyterian church, officiated and interment was made in the family plot of the cemetery at Laurens.

In the eulogy, Dr. Russell spoke highly of the life of the deceased, of which a summary will be found below:
Practically the entire life of Dr. McClellan was spent in theis community and he was interested in everything that pertained to the municipality. He was a modest man, never thrusting himself before others, and a successful practitioner who gained the confidence as well as the sympathy of his large clientele.
Dr. McClellan was a workman, who needeth not be ashamed, verily he was his reward in the hearts of a large number of people. He will not soon be forgotten.
Bearers were Frank G. Sherman, Frank H. Bresee, Dr. Julian C. Smith, David A. Diefendorf, James M. Dickson and Frank R. Pashley. Flower bearers included; Eber Hix, Dr. Marshall Latcher, Dr. Frank L. Winsor of Laurens, Dr. George Schoolcraft of Hartwick, Burton Hulbert, Alva Seybolt, Arthur M. Butts, John Taylor and George Wohlleben.

Organizations sending flowers, in addition to many individual pieces sent by relatives, patients and friends, included Women's association of the first Presbyterian church, Otsego county Medical society, Managers of Liggett Drug stores in New York state, Employes of the Oneonta Lissgett store, Employes of the Wilber National bank, Employes of the Oneonta Prudential office, Employes of the Victory store at 230 Main street, a group of friends and neighbors.

Among those from out of the city attending the service were: William McClellan, Hamilton; Mrs. Harold Hillis, New York city; Dr. Harold Teed and Eugene Carr, Sidney; Frank Teed, Masonville; Floyd Steward and family, Unadilla; John Field and Mrs. Clara Holbrook, Cooperstown; Mrs. Laney Donaldson and Anthony Lance, Utica; Mrs. Helen Bradley,

No comments:

Post a Comment