Monday, September 10, 2012

Ramblings on getting sidetracked!

I didn't get back to get photos on Howard and Roscoe Smith's posts, but promise to in the future.  I want to keep the family all together, so am still looking for more of their articles.  In the mean time, I went on Howard's page on my Ancestry.com.  He was my great uncle.  Wow, I discovered he was one of 11 or 12 children, not to mention 4 half sibs from his father's first marriage.  He married my grandfather's sister Anna.

Then, I checked on Find A Grave and discovered his parents are buried just a few miles from me in Mt. Upton, NY.  Someone has done a beautiful job of tracing the family for several generations and added family photos which I always love.

When checking in Unadilla at the history room, there wasn't one piece of information about either Howard or Anna.  Howard was the Postmaster there for over 20 years!  I can sit home on my puter and come up with all this family information on Ancestry.com (especially via the census reports) and Find A Grave. Hours and hours of fun research.  Can you tell that I'm a genealogy addict?

Who would have thought of this modern age of computers?  Certainly not me graduating from high school in 1956.  Electric typewriters weren't even in at our school yet.  A calculator had buttons and a handle.  We've come a long way, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment