George D. Newton
Morris, Feb. 19---After an illness of over a year, George D. Newton, a life-long citizen of this town, passed away at the family home below Morris early Friday morning from the effects of heart trouble.
George Daniel Newton, youngest son of Horatio and Esther (Barrett) Newton, was born in the town of Morris March 26, 1861, on the site of the present home of David Adams, and here he spent his entire boyhood.
On January 1, 1883, Mr. Newton was united in marriage to Miss Jennie J. Smith, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Smith of New Lisbon. Mr. and Mrs. Newton began housekeeping on the farm, about two miles below the village on the Morris-Gilbertsville highway, which they purchased and occupied continuously through-out their wedded life. To them were born four children, Albert Newton, Minnie Newton, Mrs. Marion (Newton) Niles and G. Channing Newton. The first two died a number of years ago, G. Channing Newton, with his family, has resided at the homestead since the failing health of the deceased made it impossible for him to operate the farm.
Mr. Newton was a man very sociable in his nature and made many friends, yet his chief interests were in his home, where as a devoted husband and a kind and indulgent father, his memory will ever be cherished.
Immediate surviving relatives are the widow, one son and one daughter previously mentioned; Three grandchildren, Maurice Newton, of Carbondale, Pa., Katherine Niles and Patricia Newton of Morris, and one sister, Mrs. Charles Nearing of Gilbertsville, to all of whom much sympathy is extended.
The funeral, which was largely attended, was conducted by Rev. F. G. Leonard of the Morris Universalist church, at the family home Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock. The remains were placed in the cemetery vault pending burial in the spring in the family plot on the new part of Hillington cemetery.